You have my gratitude, keep me going.

Recover the American kitchen.

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2010

We don't need no stinkin' PAN. Free-ballin' chicken.


OK all, time to enjoy life. Don't be afraid, I got you. A really simple way to roast a chicken and save some clean-up at the same time. I call this one...











CHEF NICK'S FREE BALLIN' CHICKEN !!!!! (thanks TR)

Mise en place.

This is an all day thing but really worth it.

BRINE THAT POULET
3 cheap beers ( I used the one with the big horses)
handful of kosher salt
cracked black pepper
a few cloves garlic, barely crushed
a few cloves (the spice this time)
3 bay leaves
a couple splashes of Tabasco

Clean out your bird, remove all livers, neck and stuff. Save 'till later.
Combine all the brine ing's in a large ceramic or glass bowl. Swim the carcass in it for at least 6 hours or overnight. Turn it over once.


FOR THE ROASTING PAN
1 large red onion, large dice
some red potatoes, large slices
couple good sized carrots, large slices...ok you get it now right?
1 head garlic, peeled
brussel's sprouts, trimmed
bunch red char, trimmed
fresh parsley and any other FRESH herbs you have laying around. Rosemary, sage, thyme all work.
S and P
Put all this stuff in a large roasting pan, season well and toss with a bit of olive oil.

OK bird time
Inside the birdie I want you to put some fresh parsley, stems are just dandy
half a lemon packed with kosher salt
cracked black pepper. Outside the bird season with salt and pepper.

GLAZE
4 oz peanut butter the best you find. I used the stuff with the initials L and S
2 oz Maple syrup. If you use the "aunt" crap I will kill you.
big pinch chili flakes
cayenne pepper
S and P
1 TB butter
2 TB olive oil

Heat gently just until butter melts.
Smear over your bird















Heat oven to 400 degrees.
place bird directly on a rack right over the roasting pan with all the vegetables, just like that.




Roast for 45 minutes, re-glaze after 30. All those lovely drippings go right onto the veggies turning them into the most delicious things ever. Remove bird and reset oven to 425 degrees and continue roasting vegetables for another 15 minutes. Add any livers, kidneys and hearts at this time.














Plate up, eat up




As always, go get your grub on. Ciao. GO RAMS

3 comments:

  1. OMG this looks fabulously delicious! I licked my computer screen and my tongue got stucked - it's a little cold here in Pacific Grove!
    Can't wait to cook up a bird! Does this work on seagulls? You're too much Nick darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'm someone who needs direction - what temperature? I think I missed it.

    ReplyDelete